top of page
The Doongara Story
Doongara was built as a single storey house in 1864, it is believed the sandstone in its walls were reclaimed from the first lighthouse built at Shortland Bluff in 1842. The stonework of the original house is still visible in the front wall of Doongara. It gained a brickpiered verandah and second brick storey to become a boarding house in the early twentieth century.
Doongara at 62 Hesse Street is of historical significance as a an early residence in Queenscliff, built for Thomas Stoneman, a prominent figure in both Geelong and Queenscliff.
bottom of page